A laser cutter is a device that produces a monochromatic, coherent beam of light to do cuttings. A laser cutter involves a motion controlled system to follow a CNC (computer numerical control)or G-code of the pattern to be cut onto the material.
In the present world, laser cutters are used in different fields for different purposes which vary from:
- Cutting metal plates.
- Cutting aluminium
- Cutting steel, both mild and stainless steel.
The cutting process of a laser cutting machine
In the cutting process of a CO2 laser cutter, a beam is directed down to the part being cut. The cutting part sits on a computer controlled platform which moves the piece around the stationary laser beam. Cutting is completed by passing the beam through a focusing lens which exits through the bottom of a cutting edge nozzle. Oxygen gas is fed inside the chambers below the focusing lens. The combination of the laser beam and the oxygen gas which passes through the nozzle serves the purpose of vaporizing the steel or any other metal for cutting.
Using and handling skills of a laser engraver
Using a laser cutting machine or a laserengraver requires special handling techniques because, without the skills, no matter how greater the machine might be,an excellent result cannot be achieved. Before using the laser machine, read the instruction manual, especially whenever you’re uncertain about the numbers, settings or the compatibility.
It is worth noting that not all materials can be cut using the machine, for example, a laser machine cannot cut all types of plastic materials especially those that emits toxic gases when in contact with alasermachine, it is also advisable to wear protective gear like gloves, eye protector and heavy clothing. Acomputer drawing program like the Adobe Illustrator or Corel drawsmay be necessary to to make perfect designs and cuttings. Click here !
Advantages of a laser cutting machine
- There is reduced contamination of workpiece. This is because no cutting edge which becomes contaminated or contaminates the material since thereis no direct contact of the workpiece with the cutting tool.
- Laser cutting process is easily controlled by computer programs making it very precise as well as saving a considerable amount of work.
- There is reduced thechance of warping the material that is being cut, as laser systems have a small heat-affected zone.
- Laser cutting is more accurate as it cuts only the specific and intended part and the heat does not affect the rest of theworkpiece because the heated area is very small.
Disadvantages of using laser cutting
Cutting plastics using the laser cutting machine emits poisonous fumes which call for the workplace to be well ventilated which is equally and expensive process.
Some metals such as copper cannot be cut using laser technology making it limited to only specified metals only.
Laser cutting has been very reliable for large industrial cuttings as well as for domestic purposes. The technologyadvancement has been in use for many decades making it a very effective and trusted method of cutting. It is for these reasons that every industry or small establishment that engages in material cutting activities should have and use a laser cutter machine.